You are considered Medicare qualified if you are 65 years and you meet any of these criteria:
- You or your spouse is eligible or gets Social Security or the railroad retirement benefits.
- You or your spouse, deceased or living, this also includes the divorced spouses, working long in a government job such that the taxes of Medicare supplement plans are paid duly.
- You are a dependent parent of a deceased fully insured child
- Younger than 65
You are Medicare supplement plans qualified if you have not attained 65 years and you meet the following criteria:
- You are entitled for 24 months to Social Security disability benefits
- You receive from the Railroad Retirement Board a disability pension and meet the regular conditions.
- You receive disability benefits from Social Security as you have Lou Gehrig’s disease known as ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
- You have worked in a government job enough where Medicare taxes are paid and you are entitled for 24 months to Social Security disability benefits.
- You are a child or a widow around 50 or even older or a divorced widow(er), of someone having put long years of service in a government job and the Medicare taxes were paid that you stand qualified meeting the Social Security requirement for disability program.
- You have a serious permanent kidney failure and are getting maintenance dialysis or kidney transplant.
The annual election period of Medicare supplement plans extend from October 15 to December 7. This is the time the individuals can drop, add or switch from the existing program to prescription drug plans or also consider making a range of other choices meeting the coverage.
Within Medicare, the individuals are expected to choose two paths such that the Medicare plan with original fee-for-service or a Medicare Advantage plan federally subsidized, that it operates typically like a preferred-provider organization or a health maintenance organization. People opting for traditional Medicare also buy the Medicare supplement plans known as Medigap and Part D as separate.
There is a need to buy Medicare supplement plans separate so that patching holes in the coverage is easily done. People qualifying to the new program also find it convenient on turning 65.spouses having different medical conditions see different doctors and take different medicines that they are better off on having Medigap, besides the Traditional Medicare or even Medicare Advantage plans.